Friday, May 14, 2010

The Bigger They Are...

I'll keep this one short and sweet. After last nights humbling loss to the Celtics, the Cavaliers were sent packing. It's safe to say that Cleveland basketball, for at least the next decade, has been completely murdered. It'll be harder to clean up this mess than the current oil spill in the gulf.

I had to stop watching the game early to go see Iron Man 2 with my good friend Megan (an absolutely excellent, choice mind you. Scarlett Johanson, please marry me), so I didn't see the ending to the game. But I could just tell what was going to happen. And when I got the texts from my buddies giving me the news, I knew. To Cleveland fans, I'm sure it felt something like this.

This post is now 1000% better.

There is a lot to say about last night's loss, and a lot to not say about it. Guaranteed, the sport outlets will cover all angles extensively. Montages are being made as I type. Interviews are being conducted. Speculation is abound. They will even make up new angles that hold no merit, journalistic integrity be damned.

What we do know is this: The Cavaliers aren't good enough and never were good enough to win a championship. For one, Mike Brown can't coach, not at this level. His rotations were baffling, and failing to give Anderson Varejao any sort of significant burn is patently ridiculous. Also, LeBron is human. He bleeds and wipes his ass like the rest of us. The fact is, he fell short of expectations. Expectations that other people placed on his broad shoulders. It's a cruel, unfair world, but when Mr. James mailed in performances that were insulting to his talent level and to his devoted fanbase, he deservedly incurred the media's heat.

We also know that the Celtics are for real. That wasn't a fluke series; the better team won out. And it wasn't even close. Run this series back, and the Celtics win again. Probably in 5 this time. The Magic/Celtics series, I hope, will salvage what has been a rather mundane postseason.

Of all the major sports, basketball is the one where an individual can make the most impact. It's sort of a blemish on the sport, I think, that one guy can win it for the rest of the squad. But this series showed one undeniable truth: teamball, if played how it's supposed to be played, will win out over one guy, every time. And that makes me, Red, and the basketball purists happy. One man is not, and never can be, above The Game.

There are only four teams left. Now it gets interesting. Let's put down the Cavs for now. Give the best teams in the league all the attention; they've earned it. (And for good measure, one more picture of Ms. Johansson).

1 comment: