Sunday, July 11, 2010

State of the Blog

Dear Mid Range J faithful (hey mama!)

I apologize for the dearth of updates over the past few weeks. I want to let you know, however, that this drought is not for a lack of wanting to write; rather, it's because I've had a lack of time to write. OK, that's not exactly true--I do have time to write (notice how you tend to make time for the things you love?), it's just that I don't have the energy to write.

I've been mired in back-to-back-back (AAU!) 30+ hour work weeks at my new job. Since it's a gym, and I'm charged with opening it several times a week, my sleep schedule has been all kinds of messed up. Getting up at 3:30am a couple times a week does that to a person. I am but a man, and after all that work, writing is just not something I want to do.

Also, don't know if you noticed, but it's the off-season, and things tend to slow down a bit once basketball stops being played. Shocker I know. I mean, stuff is going on--apparently LeBron decided to sign with some team in Florida. I'm pretty sure it was with the Jacksonville Jaguars. But for the most part, there isn't anything super exciting going on.

In all seriousness, it's stuff like the free agent frenzy that makes it hard to write, at least for me. Sure, I could weigh in on the LeBron Debacle (Lebracle, if you will), or the new three headed monster that is the Miami Heat, or Dan Gilbert's open-letter to Cavs fans (The most shocking facet of the letter? He wrote it in Comic Sans. Really.), but what would that accomplish? Everyone, my grandmother included, has an opinin on it.

All I would be doing would be contributing to the noise. And if the World Cup has taught us anything, it's that we do not need anymore vuvuzelas.

July 11, 2010 - Johannesburg, South Africa - epa02245155 Fans blow Vuvuzela horns in the stands before the FIFA World Cup 2010 Final soccer match between the Netherlands and Spain at the Soccer City stadium outside Johannesburg, South Africa, 11 July 2010.
Or Soccer fans.

It seems to me sports writing is synonymous with regurgitation. The powers that be (ESPN, Yahoo!, Sports Illustrated, etc) tend to set the agenda, create the talking points, and direct everyone's focus. After a while, everyone starts sounding the same. Watch Around The Horn, then PTI, then Sportscenter, and you'll start to see what I mean.

I don't want to sound the same as everyone else. I know that last sentence is the stuff of angsty teens, but it's true. If I came on here and wrote about how I disagreed with LeBron's handling of his free agency, what would that accomplish? Everyone's already said it. Doing so would be a waste of my time and an even bigger waste of yours.

What does all this mean, then? In a nutshell: it's tough coming up with fresh takes on things. And if I do find something unique to chime in on, it takes a fair amount of time to write it up and give it that nice coat of paint.

But I digress. My point is this:I'll definitely keep The Mid Range J updated, just not as regularly as I used to. But don't tune me out, por favor. I definitely have some ideas for posts, it's just they may not come as regularly as they used to.

Oh, and go Kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment