Sunday, March 7, 2010

That's no moon...

With my college graduation looming (note the word usage here: looming. Not "around the corner" or "coming up," but looming, kinda like the Death Star), the thought of, you know, what I'm doing after school has crept into my mind once or twice. And by once or twice I mean it has become a daily fixture of concern. I haven't had one yet, but I can feel a panic attack coming on. It'll come, I know it. One of these days I'll be overcome with worry and have the closest thing to a breakdown I can have. Even though I am cognizant of it, it will still happen. It will suck, I will hate it, and it will completely and utterly emaciate me.

Once again, looming.

So, to avoid this potentially embarrassing and unfortunate situation, I have begun my assimilation into the real world. And by that, I mean entering the job market. Or at least trying to. You want a slice of humble pie? Looking for work will not only give you a slice of humbleness, but it'll throw in the whole damn bakery too. I have conducted my search thus far with Aggie Job Link, a useful little website by UCDavis that aggregates thousands of job listings from companies world wide. It's a great service... especially if I want to be put in a bad mood.

Anything I seem qualified for are either "Unpaid/volunteer/internship" positions (aka legal SLAVERY) or something that looks so shady that I wouldn't touch it with a hazmat suit on (like the wonderful TeachEnglish4America program. Hey, if you can't spell out the word "for" in your program name, a program about teaching English no less, I'm gonna pass).

Of course, all the lucrative jobs involve the use of these things called computers. Software consultant, computer engineer, networking assistant. Yeah, Aggie Job Link, I can't do any of that. This blog is pushing my tech limit, so trying to program shit won't fly for me. Or potential employers, I bet. I now understand why my roommate, a Computer Science major, tells me to "not worry about it." It's because that dude is set. Companies are salivating and waiting like vultures to pounce on him.

Well, what about the impressionable, hardworking Political Science student? What I lack in skill I make up for in enthusiasm! Yeah, I don't buy it either. Guess who picked the wrong major? Hint: it's not my roomie.

Looming.

No comments:

Post a Comment